Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Curious Scrapbooker's Field Guide with May Flaum


Week 1 of May's class has been all about misting.  I have about 6 or 7 various mists and have tried it (sort of) a few times but didn't really feel like I knew what I was doing so it wasn't necessarily fun.  I've been misting a few tags and papers based on what we learned this week and I think I have a better idea of what I'm doing and how the mists work.  Here's the layout I did tonight......
I found a box that will even fit 12 x 12 sheets of paper for my misting.  I didn't
like cleaning up the mess misting made without it before.

I used a Tim Holtz mask from his Timeworks set.

I used Tattered Angels GlimmerMist - Creme de Chocolat to mist Close To My Heart cardstock (colonial white).
I added a 2 1/2 inch strip of textured brown cardstock (not sure where I got this paper.  I added ribbon above and below the paper strip.
The cardstock did curl after I misted it.  I'll have to put some weight on it to flatten it.  May also told us that
we could iron our items that curled.

Finished layout.  Added photo over cardstock/ribbon strip.  Added acrylic piece with "thankful" on it over the masked area.  Added cardstock brown Thickers to make the word "for".  Rub-ons added "family" and "happiness is..." from Close To My Heart.  I then added black DewDrops to bring the eye to the photo.

I was very happy with the look of the misting.  It covered the cardstock very evenly and I didn't have a lot of big splats or drops.  In the class May explained the various types of mist, what they are made of and how they work which helped me understand how to use them better.  She also said that its a matter of working with them -I should say playing with them and practicing the various techniques to get the look you want. 
My scrapbooking style is typically very basic, clean and simple and I like that I can stay true to that but add a feeling of more depth to my layout.
I can wait til Thursday's class!  Thanks, May!

No comments:

Post a Comment